Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Preach

Default idiots pick against Hughes

http://sherdog.com/news/articles/1/p...vs-serra-17534
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Crisco

I think it's comical how some people think that Serra has better striking then Hughes.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
County Mike

They think he has better Jiu Jitsu too - just because Hughes doesn't have a black belt.

I've got news for you. Gold belts > Black belts
Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Oh my God, you've gotta be kidding me!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Hughes_GOAT

Couture picked Serra
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Pete Sell: Iím in Vegas with Serra now. He is looking better than Iíve seen him in years. His ground game is sick and has some new tools, so it will be a problem for Hughes.
But he doesn't actually say he thinks Serra is going to win.

I was a little surprised to see Randy's comments and pick, but once again Serra's jui-jitsu isn't on par with Penn's so I don't understand why people think this is some huge advantage for Serra. Guess we'll see what we'll see.

As much as I want Matt to win by butal GnP, it would be very cool to see Matt make Serra tap and win by sub. I wonder what kind of excuses would come out then.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM
ufcfan2

Well I would'nt call them idiots everyones entitled to their opinions. Its gonna be a good fight for sure and it could go both ways. It boils down to who can force their gameplan on the other and who makes the fewest mistakes.
I have'nt seen enough of Serra's fights to know how good his standup is I just know hes heavy handed. I know hes also got good jitts and I'm sure he's gonna be comfortable on the ground.
I'm rooting for Hughes,but its gonna be a rough fight for him for sure. I don't think neither has great striking compared to other fighters,but you can't dismiss the KO power Serra has.
Has Hughes ever KO'd anyone if not I think it would be a nice parting gift to get a KO.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 AM

The Randy disappoints me. And whats with these morons that think Serra can submit...well anyone [insert name of a random blue belt], let alone Hughes-dog, a guy who has a strong dominant wrestling base complimented by an outstanding submission game. Serra hasn't sub'd any real fighters in a looooooong time. Matt will dominate this fight wherever it goes, and by 'wherever' i mean wherever Matt chooses

Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykojojo
The Randy disappoints me. And whats with these morons that think Serra can submit...well anyone [insert name of a random blue belt], let alone Hughes-dog, a guy who has a strong dominant wrestling base complimented by an outstanding submission game. Serra hasn't sub'd any real fighters in a looooooong time. Matt will dominate this fight wherever it goes, and by 'wherever' i mean wherever Matt chooses
Agreed. His "amazing hands" were a bunch of wild, looping punches against a sloppy GSP. His "amazing jits" was last seen 7 years ago against a nobody. His strength...was non-existence, even at LW. His only wins at WW were a stolen decision and the biggest fluke in MMA history. Outside of the same puncher's chance he had against GSP, what shot does he have?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Josh

I don't understand anyone thinking it will be close. I (like most on here) have watched a ton of MMA and most or all of Hughes fights (thanks Ben). I honestly believe the two are on completely different levels. Just look at experience alone and it's pretty clear. Hughes is going to beat the New York accent out of Serra. He will probably sound like Dave when the fight is over. Actually I would rather see a sub. Matt was veeery close to subbing Gracie and I doubt Serra's JJ is much higher than Royce.