Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Ravens Kelly Gregg can beat Lesnar?

LOL, what a joke! Gregg would get murdered by Jason Guida let alone Lesnar.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ead_raven.html

Quote:
That's what Kelly Gregg would be if he got his wish to fight UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

I'm not knocking Gregg--a massive, quick, tough guy with a legit big-time wrestling background. If he applied the same determination to an MMA career that he did to his improbable rise in the NFL, he might become an outstanding fighter.

But it's time to stop thinking of the UFC as a novelty sport that simulates bar fights on pay-per-view. Top fighters, such as Lesnar, spend all day every day training at boxing, takedown defense, jiu jitsu and wrestling. The sport has become sophisticated enough that if a guy is weak in any of those areas, he will be exposed. It's not an activity for dilletantes.

It's funny that this story is coming up in relation to Lesnar, who learned that he could not parlay his awesome size, strength and speed into an instant NFL career with the Vikings. He hadn't put in hundreds of hours of work in college or NFL rookie camps, so he simply did not have the technique to compete against professionals. Even in MMA, where his background as an NCAA wrestling champ gave him a leg up, Lesnar had to train for two solid years to compete at a world-class level.

It's the same basic lesson Michael Jordan learned in baseball. The guys who do this stuff for a living have worked incredibly hard to get there.

So no, I do not think Kelly Gregg would fare well in a fight with Lesnar and his lunchbox-sized fists. What do you guys think?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I don't think anybody that don't train in MMA can beat Brock in an MMA fight! That's like asking a Baseball player to fight Liddell in the cage!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Maybe Kelly should play a full series without his helmet and pads. Then he'd feel what it's like to fight in MMA
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Straight Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE
That's like asking a Baseball player to fight Liddell in the cage!

Does Albert Pujols get a bat?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
LOL, what a joke! Gregg would get murdered by Jason Guida let alone Lesnar.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ead_raven.html
Agree
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Hughes_GOAT

i'd like to hear what Kelly Gregg has to say on this? why does he think he can beat Lesnar?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
i'd like to hear what Kelly Gregg has to say on this? why does he think he can beat Lesnar?
Because he used to be a wrestler. He was a 3-time state wrestling champion in Oklahoma when he was in high school, and a 1-time national champion in high school. And he's on crack so he's delusional.

Lesnar was by far the most feared HW wrestler his junior and senior when he was in college. Although he placed 2nd his junior year, he lost by 1 point due to escapes. Basically, his opponent, Stephen Neal, kept his distance as much as possible to avoid the power - good strategy.

Here's another article on Kelly calling out Lesnar:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...t-ufcs-lesnar/

Quote:
After reading Mark Preston’s story in the Baltimore Sun last week about Kelly’s progress, I decided to check in on him, as I frequently do. An upbeat and confident Kelly answered the phone and gave me a positive report on his knee, his strength and his overall physical progress. He also said one more thing: “I want to fight Brock Lesnar,” the current UFC champ.

“That would be impossible as long as you’re under contract with the Ravens,” I replied.

“Well, that sucks because I know I can beat him,” he said.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Hughes_GOAT

Div I Champ/WWE Champ/UFC Champ > High School Champ

he must equate fighting with a wrestling match?

surely he knows what happens in MMA? punches, kicks, knees, elbows, chokes, etc.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Maybe Kelly should watch what happened to former NFL wide receiver, Johnny Morton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mniHJAQmNG8

Even funnier, after he got his ass kicked, he refused to take a post-fight drug test, was denied his $100,000 paycheck, and a week later was confirmed positive for steroids.