Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Default My Idea: UFC Masters: The Champs Division

Its really been breaking my heart these past few years as my favorites and heroes of this sport have been retiring. I have came up with an idea of what I think would be a really fun and exciting division to add the UFC. This may have already been discussed before, but I've broken down specifics and would just like to see what you guys think about it.

UFC Masters Champions division. Age limit: 38-48. Weight limit: 180-210. The last requirement; Must have either won a UFC tourney back in the day at any weight class, or fought for or won a UFC/StrikeForce/WEC/Pride belt at any weight class.

On the age limit, I picked it because that's the ages that I've seen most UFC caliber guys start to kind of fall behind the pack and run into a little bit of trouble. And I don't think anyone wants to see guys much older than that compete. This is the age that I think guys still have the desire and the talent to compete, but just not necessarily with the younger guns. The weight class I picked is because most of the guys that are at that age and would still be fun to watch fight could fit in there. From Matt Hughes to Dan Henderson and Chuck Liddell. And I picked the championship aspect so that it is only the crème de la crème of the older guys fighting in this weight class. It would not be a division for the guys that never had a prime. It would almost be a who's the current best of yesterday?

The last detail of the weight class is that no one would be forced out of their regular division to compete in the Masters.

There likely will never be a Masters division in the UFC, but I would like to hear yall's thoughts on the idea.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Hughes fanboy

I like the idea too, but are there enough good fighters over 40 left? They could probably fit one fight on every other card or so. I want to see Mark Coleman against Matt

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I think the main problem is that they would quickly become a crude kinda exhibition fight division. In many ways when Fighters choose to retire, they dont want to fight again...If they do, its because they never wanted to retire in the first place regardless of what they say, and you do see that happen more and more often with long standing fighters.

Secondly...its kinda like asking a Lion, to become a Cat. These guys dont want hand outs because of their age, they are used to fighting the best, at the highest calibre. Not fighting as a sub-par version of themselves, against sub-par versions of other greats...you cant shrink them, for the sake of keeping them around. If there is one thing my academic work into the Violence Seeking Impulse revieled, it was that the only way is bigger, faster and better...you can not go backwards, and you can not return. It wouldnt feel the same, and they wouldnt get out of it, what they need in order to be able to perform.

But, whilst one can be a Champion whilst they are active...one can only really become a Legend when their time is over, because it is the passage of time, and the ability to be able to look back that solidifies their legacy. Their Legacy is not really their achievements, and their records, it is what they have given to the sport and how they have changed the history of certain organisations....Whilst the Accolades of a Champion can be compared to that of another...the same is not true with Legacies. They are independant, unique, stories of struggle and overcomming. Not every Champion becomes a Legend.

"A king has his reign, and then he dies. It's inevitable."