Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Texas passes Merry Christmas bill

Yay! How refreshing. No wonder Texas is such a great state.

Quote:
State lawmakers in Texas have passed legislation that permits public schools to display nativity scenes, menorahs, or Christmas trees, and allows students and school district staff to use greetings such as, “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah,” and “Happy Holidays.”

Here is a link to the full article and here is the official site for the bill as well as the timeline since its inception.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Hailey's Dad

Good. Now if they'll approve "Kick a Muslim" day I'll move there.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
come on man ... the US constitution allows for freedom of religion man ... you aren't telling me that you hate muslims and would actually kick one of them for exercising their constitutional right would ya?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
come on man ... the US constitution allows for freedom of religion man ... you aren't telling me that you hate muslims and would actually kick one of them for exercising their constitutional right would ya?
The Freedom of Religion in the Constitution only prevents the US government from discriminating against someone for their religious beliefs. The restriction applies to our government and ONLY to our government, not private citizens or privately owned businesses. There is nothing in the Constitution that requires private citizens or businesses to respect other people's religious beliefs.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
The Freedom of Religion in the Constitution only prevents the US government from discriminating against someone for their religious beliefs. The restriction applies to our government and ONLY to our government, not private citizens or privately owned businesses. There is nothing in the Constitution that requires private citizens or businesses to respect other people's religious beliefs.
well that i know ... i am just wondering why he'd want to actually kick a muslim ... i guess that is his choice really ...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
The Freedom of Religion in the Constitution only prevents the US government from discriminating against someone for their religious beliefs.
Actually...it only prevents the US Government from descriminating between the differing denominations of Christianity....and requires, consequently, the division between State and Church, which didnt exist in any of the Roman Catholic Countries...and thus proved a massive conflict of interest when Protestantism emerged.

Never was this seen worse then during the English Reformation when King Henry broke from Rome, died with a young, weak heir...and had two Daughters..One Roman Catholic, One Anglican....The Founders of America saw the damage done during the Lancastrian House of Tudor, and avowed to never let that problem happen again.

Thus the split between State (be it Religious, a la Rome, or National, a la local Governments) AND the presumption that Tollerance between Romanism and Protestantism would be upheld. Further, that due to the Religious aspects of the English Civil War, which saw two PROTESTANT Denominations battle each other, the lack of mention of specific denominations was a wise move....but, technically speaking, as much a modern spin as what I mention below

At the time, these different denominations were viewed, by those who upheld them as completely different religions...hence the animosity between them.

When the US Constitution mentions "Religious" Freedom...it is NOT applied contextually to anything but the different denominations of Christianity. To apply it to other faiths, is to but a modern day spin on a document that doesnt include this as an ominssion.

But you should know that...because YOU were the one who taught me the basis...I just researched it more since and before anyone points out the faith of the Founders...Diests were an accepted part of Christondom at the time....along with Puritans
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 AM

^^^^^
doubt that ... there is plenty of discussion of the founding fathers discussing freedom of religion and mentioning religions other than Christianity, such as Islam, Judaism etc ...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
Mike, lol!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Yay! How refreshing. No wonder Texas is such a great state.

Here is a link to the full article and here is the official site for the bill as well as the timeline since its inception.
Good find and that's great news!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Good find and that's great news!
Thanks, good to see you, Chuck!