Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default Diet Soda increases the risk of diabetes by 33%

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...192600358.html

Quote:
Yet another study confirms what people have been saying for ages: Stop drinking diet soda. Like, right now. Drinking just one 12-ounce can of an artificially sweetened fizzy drink per week can increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes by 33 percent, French researchers found, and given that most people don't stop at a single weekly serving, your real risk for diabetes could actually be much higher.

Going by the article, it seems that regular soda still puts you at the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but not nearly as much as artificially sweetened soda.

I'm glad I swore off diet sodas over ten years ago.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sodas are horrible for you no matter how many calories they have or how they are sweetened. I really hate seeing little kids drinking soda out of their sippy cups or bottles.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Going by the article, it seems that regular soda still puts you at the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, but not nearly as much as artificially sweetened soda.

I'm glad I swore off diet sodas over ten years ago
Wait a minute, you just mention swearing off "diet", what about "regular" sodas?

My friend loves Dr. Pepper, I really think she's addicted to it, anyway, this one time she decided she was going to quit, however, she had a six-pack of them left so she sat there and drank them all. Needless to say, she fell off the wagon pretty quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
Sodas are horrible for you no matter how many calories they have or how they are sweetened. I really hate seeing little kids drinking soda out of their sippy cups or bottles.

~Amy
And all those high-sugar fruit juices too! Amy have you ever heard of a connection between using those artificial sweetners and dementia or alzheimers? Someone mentioned that to me before.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Wait a minute, you just mention swearing off "diet", what about "regular" sodas?
I've slowed down significantly on my soda drinking since quitting my job at Walmart. It's just too expensive and I'm trying to cut high-fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I've slowed down significantly on my soda drinking since quitting my job at Walmart. It's just too expensive and I'm trying to cut high-fructose corn syrup out of my diet completely.
Good for you, Nate! This past year I've really been on my sister to stop buying it, telling her how bad it is for my nephew...using "mom guilt".

Any difference in how you feel since you've cut back?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Good for you, Nate! This past year I've really been on my sister to stop buying it, telling her how bad it is for my nephew...using "mom guilt".

Any difference in how you feel since you've cut back?
Well, initially I felt pretty crappy. Just tired and lethargic, but that passed after a day or two of just drinking water. Now I've noticed that my sleep schedule has evened out quite a bit. I don't lay in bed for hours unable to sleep anymore, I'm usually asleep within a few minutes now. I also started to notice that I started getting really bad acid reflux after cutting back on the sodas. That's taken a bit longer to correct itself, but cutting down on the deep-fried foods in my diet has helped.

I don't even drink coffee as much as I used to. In the evenings, it's mostly tea or water.

For about 2 years, I was drinking an average of 2-3 20oz bottles of Mountain Dew every single day. And not just the regular stuff, the "with ginseng and extra caffeine" Mountain Dew.

When it wasn't soda it was energy drinks: Red Bull, Full Throttle, Monster, etc. I became quite a connoisseur of those things, like everyone on the night shift at Walmart.

Now I don't touch them.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

My friend loves Dr. Pepper, I really think she's addicted to it, anyway, this one time she decided she was going to quit, however, she had a six-pack of them left so she sat there and drank them all. Needless to say, she fell off the wagon pretty quick!

And all those high-sugar fruit juices too! Amy have you ever heard of a connection between using those artificial sweetners and dementia or alzheimers? Someone mentioned that to me before.
I haven't heard of a connection but that doesn't mean they haven't found one. I have quit reading up on dementia studies for a while. I was obsessed when dad was first diagnosed and read everything I could find. The last thing I did happen to see was that they are looking at a connection between diabetes/blood sugar issues and Alzheimer's disease. Some are even calling Alzheimer's "type 3 diabetes" now. Here is an article from the NY Times about it that was published last year:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...pe-3-diabetes/

Remember, glucose is fuel for your brain so any time you have a big change in glucose levels you are affecting your brain function. So it makes sense.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I haven't heard of a connection but that doesn't mean they haven't found one. I have quit reading up on dementia studies for a while. I was obsessed when dad was first diagnosed and read everything I could find. The last thing I did happen to see was that they are looking at a connection between diabetes/blood sugar issues and Alzheimer's disease. Some are even calling Alzheimer's "type 3 diabetes" now. Here is an article from the NY Times about it that was published last year:
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...pe-3-diabetes/

Remember, glucose is fuel for your brain so any time you have a big change in glucose levels you are affecting your brain function. So it makes sense.

~Amy
That was a good article, he makes it easy to understand. It really does make sense.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

I'm glad I swore off diet sodas over ten years ago.
I dont do diet anything neither...nowt but full fat for me
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
I dont do diet anything neither...nowt but full fat for me
The natural fats are actually better for you. Mainly because your hunger is satisfied faster and you end up eating less in the long run.