Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Student of the Sport

Default Ronda Rousey set to join UFC; Strikeforce to hold last event in January

Quote:
Ronda Rousey is on the verge of making history.

The Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion has fought her final fight for the promotion and is set to make her UFC debut in the near future, TMZ reported Thursday night. The Web site also reported that the recently announced Jan. 12 Strikeforce card in Oklahoma City will be the promotion's last.

MMAFighting.com confirmed with sources close to the promotion that both news items are in fact true and more information is expected to be released early next week.

It is unknown at this time when Rousey (6-0) and the rest of the Strikeforce women will make their debuts in the UFC, but it will most certainly happen at some point next year. Women have never fought inside the Octagon during the UFC's 19-year history.

As recently as earlier this year, UFC president Dana White was very hesitant to even consider forming a women's division in the UFC, but the emergence of Rousey has apparently changed his mind.

"She's a (expletive) unique individual. She's like a Diaz brother," White said in September. "She really is. Inside like a (expletive) dude trapped in this beautiful body. The reason I got interested in women's MMA is because of her everyone is like it's cause she's good-looking and 'Dana blah-blah.' Gina Carano is good-looking too. She's very pretty. There's (expletive) something different about Ronda Rousey."

Strikeforce and Showtime officials refused to comment on the story when contacted by MMAFighting.com. Rousey's manager Darin Harvey would also not confirm the story when asked for a comment.
http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/...old-last-event

Anyone surprised by this one?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post

I'm surprised that Showtime didn't make them wait longer before they announced this. I mean, Showtime's got the option in "early 2013" to extend the contract with Strikeforce, so I assumed that even if they weren't going to re-up, they'd still want to crap on Dana's parade for as long as possible by making him wait before being able to put anything in writing.

I say we get Jones/Sonnen & Rousey/Cyborg in Cowboys Stadium on my birthday.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

I'm surprised that Showtime didn't make them wait longer before they announced this. I mean, Showtime's got the option in "early 2013" to extend the contract with Strikeforce, so I assumed that even if they weren't going to re-up, they'd still want to crap on Dana's parade for as long as possible by making him wait before being able to put anything in writing.

I say we get Jones/Sonnen & Rousey/Cyborg in Cowboys Stadium on my birthday.
I totally agree, I was very surprised that Showtime showed their hand so soon. But I think there were a lot of signs that this would occur.

I thought Jones/Sonnen was going to be in New Jersey?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:31 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I totally agree, I was very surprised that Showtime showed their hand so soon. But I think there were a lot of signs that this would occur.

I thought Jones/Sonnen was going to be in New Jersey?
Last I heard they hadn't set a venue yet. Could be wrong, though. It did happen once before...
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 AM

i heart RR!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM

i think cyborg beats her ... and there goes the women's division .. dana seems a little creepy on this one .. LOL