View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Slurred speech = concussion?

Eating uncontested shots to the head? That happens ALL the time. So do you think that there are LOTS of fights going on that should have been stopped? For example, do you think Horn vs Chuck 2 should have been stopped? What about Pulver vs Faber 1?

Coughing up blood? How could you tell if they were coughing it up from the lung or blowing it out of their nose or mouth with the cough? And did that happen in this fight? When is the last time that you heard of a fighter suffering damage from blood in his lungs? (Anybody can answer this because I am curious if it happens often at all.)

Do you think Stevenson vs Penn should have been stopped due to blood volume? What about the one with Babalu? Or Shrek?

(This topic interests me in case you couldn't tell. lol)

btw, what, if any, signs did the cornermen have that would have led them to believe that the fight needed to be stopped? Anybody have a link to the fight?
You had a long post, so I'll try to answer as many questions as I possibly can, if I miss any, just ask again. Slurred speech, general fogginess, and being "out of it" are all signs of concussion. Usually, in a fight, a concussion would result from being KO'd. HOWEVER, it's possible that if you are more prone to them, or have received more than a couple in a short amount of time (as was my case playing hockey) a bump to the chin, or to the jaw can do it. Concussions are dangerous because PCS is a real bitch, and could have some long term effects.

As far as blood goes, it can be a tough one. Generally, you want it out of your nasal passages, and you really don't want it running down the back of your throat, as that can be deadly. Blood in itself isn't dangerous or bad, cuts happen, but cuts perpendicular to the eye, or if blood is running into the eyes, is where the danger lies. In the Stevenson fight, well, he got cut on the hairline, and that being a vascular area, he bled like a stuck piggy. That being said, it didn't really get into his eyes until the fight went to the ground and BJ took his back.

I've personally only ever seen one or two guys cough up blood, one was from bronchitis, and the other from internal injuries. It was obvious to me that internal damage had been done, blood was thick with mucus and half coagulated. From the picture I saw of the fight, in the link provided, the fighter's nose looks broken, and obviously there's going to be a lot of blood running down the back of his throat, especially if the fight went to the ground for any length of time. The referee inspected him, deemed him good to go, and so the fight continued.

As far as uncontested shots go, it can be pretty telling. Take a guy like Matt Hughes, doesn't get knocked out much, and even on the ground on his back his spinning around, trying to get back into the butterfly guard. That's where you hear a ref mentioning a fighter "staying busy" or trying to be an elusive target. On the flipside, in Forrest's last fight, he was EATING several shots from Evans. Those were uncontested, dangerous shots to take. He was out, or at least getting there fast. Limbs were flopping, head was getting knocked around. Stop. The. Fight.

A lot of the fighter/cornerman relationship is trust. I'd rather have a fighter never speak to me again and hate my guts than have to spoon feed a friend at age 50.