View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Kinda reminds me of the injustice given to the border patrol agents, Jose Compean and Ignacio Ramos.

For those who don't know, about the story, Compean was patrolling a section of border with another agent (Ignacio Ramos) when they spotted a man crossing the border. They stopped him in a van containing 743 pounds of marijuana, but he ran. Compean said he thought the suspect had a gun and was going to shoot him so he fired at him first. His shot missed but his partner, hearing gunfire, fired in order to defend Compean and hit the suspect in the buttocks. They lost sight of the man but said they saw him on the Mexican side of the border. They did not believe he had been injured so they did not report the incident.

The two officers were arrested after the drug smuggler, Osvaldo Aldrete Davila, filed a complaint against them. After a two-week jury trial, Compean was found guilty on 11 counts, including discharging a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, which by itself carries a federally mandated 10-year minimum sentence. Without that charge, both agents involved would have received far shorter sentences. Instead, Compean was sentenced to 12 years in prison, and his partner, Ignacio Ramos, was sentenced to 11 years in prison. Aldrete Davila was granted immunity to testify against the two agents and received six border crossing visas to come to the United States and testify (you can be sure he did some drug deals with those Visas).

Anyways, these officers were finally commuted by Bush on January 19, 2009 after serving nearly 4 years in prison for defending our nation's borders from drug smugglers.

F'ing bs, I hope this guy gets his justice from those border jumpers!