View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47
Well yes of course it is. The difficulty is that the Chicago area sports teams have decided to form a Chicago Area Sports Network. The feed is provided by Comcast and is labeled Comcast Sports Chicago; or at least it is on Direct TV.

When Cubs games were available on Extra Innings last season much the time the feed was not provided by WGN but rather Comcast Sports Chicago. Odd thing is they did use the WGN announcers.

I have seen the broadcast schedule and there are still many games available on WGN but there has been a continuation of the shift away from WGN. Now that the Tribune no longer owns the Cubs, the trend will probably accelerate.

This means a reduction in the games available locally by broadcast and nationally as well unless you have an extra cost package.

For the Braves fans, the situation is even worse. WTBS will not carry any Braves games. Those will usually only be on Sports South.
It's the same announcers because it's still the same production crew bringing you the game. Comcast Sports Network has a lot of the games for the Cubs, Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks, but it's not an extra cost channel, it's part of basic cable (probably because Comcast is Chicago's cable provider). Also, they still air a LOT of the Cubs games on WGN and they also have White Sox games on another local channel that is not a cable network called WCIU Channel 26, but even when they air the games on that channel is still has the CSN logo attached.

As a Cubs fan you are lucky you can see ANY games without ordering an extra package. The Cubs get some extra perks being the lovable losers with one of the biggest fan-bases in professional sports. If I wanna watch games from my favorite teams in Arizona I either gotta order the expensive packages or find a good stream online. Needless to say, I prefer the latter.

Last edited by J.B.; 02-10-2009 at 06:44 PM.