View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba

Are there any good cartoons on there? Adultswim is pretty good (PJs, King of the Hill, Family Guy) but during the day it's only so-so. I miss all the old cartoons from the 90s (Jetsons, Scooby, Pup Named Scooby Doo, Acme Hour, Johnny Bravo, Looney Tunes, etc).
Actually, they were playing Ben10, which I'm not a huge fan of, so I had no problem changing it.

Back to the hyperinflation, when Germany started printing money out of control, prices skyrocketed to unbelievable levels almost overnight.

This is a 50 Mark note, which could buy 25 loaves of bread in 1920 (equivalent to our dollar, bread is about $2 a loaf right now).

This is a 5,000,000,000 Mark note (that's 5 billion). In November 1923, you would have needed 40 of these to buy a single loaf of bread (equivalent to $90 billion for one loaf of bread).

Within hours, you would have needed 80 of these to buy half a loaf of bread. That's how quickly it can all fall apart.

There were many factors that played into the collapse of the German economy, but the basic premise is sound: If you print too much worthless money, eventually ALL of your money becomes worthless.