View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
You'll Excuse Germany, if they dont feel quite the same way. I can cope with a flag, its an object, It has no meaning beyond that which is put into it...I dont like the idea of doing it to a person, people do things, they, unlike objects are dangerous and fallable. There is a very fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism.
Well.. You know it's not like Germany has anything to be ashamed of...

And our flag is not just an object. It's an idea and an ideal.

The bars reprsent the orginal 13 colonies, the starred blue canton reprsent the states and is also called the "union". Displaying only the stared canton can be called the Union Jack.

Most people in the states know the stars represent the states, but less than 1 in 10 know what the bars are for.

One of the few flag traditions that I have been happy that has changed is the "wearing of the flag". I personally view that as love and support for my country. I have a jacket from over 20 years ago that I painted an iron cross on, but then used the flag... "think read white and blue colored iron cross"... most people I knew hated it.. but a few knew.. and the few that asked.. I told them.. then they understood.

Quote:

I had no idea you took some kinda vow everyday...may I enquire as to what exactly that entails...
Think this...
"I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principals of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.” -William Tyler Page