Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
That is a ridiculous sweeping generalization IMO, and it shouldn't make a whole lot of sense to anybody who actually follows sports. It's like you are just trying to talk up fighters and put down other athletes. Not a whole lot of substance there.
Please be careful when you elude that I don't follow my sports.. saying I don't make sense on this should really make you think where your opinions are rooted.. And should you choose to read what I posted.. you would see I am only putting down people that don't really deserve to be "up".
And while I am not a fan of Nate, Nick and Melive.. at least they haven't been caught with a loaded AK..
Former AZ Cardinal arrested in Phoenix cocaine ring bust -http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story/Former-AZ-Cardinal-arrested-in-Phoenix-cocaine/eCeX-6tBn0qmKRXCfbyDYQ.cspx
Try this.. Google .. nfl players arrested
Then try nba players arrested
Then try MMA Fighters arrested
Then drill through your results and compare drug related and violent related charges.. let me know what you find...
Actually don't.. I already know..
1 MMA guy/gal in 37 nfl, and 42 NBA...
Just what is the "ridiculous sweeping generalization"?
That MMA is rampant with HGH and the like? Or that baseball and football and basketball are SEVERALLY OVER PAID.. and are EXTREMELY self centered on the whole?
Pay has nothing to do with MMA problems with fighters.. that is a problem with the companies they fight for.. not the morally or ethically piss poor choices that that many make.
That's why I am a HUGE fan of the fighters I root for.. very rarely do you hear about crap from them.
When was the last time you heard a pro quarter back say "thanks" to "nike", when was the last time you heard a center say... "this game is dedicated to ..."...
Or thanks to my coaches...
Jeff Monson gets busted for graffiti, yet Kobe gets smacked down for rape at worst.. and having an affair at best?
Baseball has had it's problems, but lets not forget about all the problems the fight game has had. Fighters are grossly underpaid in terms of what the UFC is raking in profits, and there IS problems with banned substances or we would not hear about people getting busted.
There are over 100 UFC fighters.. over 100 (pretty sure) WEC fighters..
how many of those have tested positive? And again.. how many since tested become a "pop quiz" and before and after fights?
So make fires where you want about banned stuff being rampant.. I sure don't see it. But maybe we should be concentrating on where is truely IS rampant.. NFL, MLBA and such..
If you want to talk about money for fighters.. I can say that ALL fighters.. (not just UFC) should be paid more.. but consider these figures... Defiantly more than Chuck could make running a dojo.. trust me.. I know.
MAX 25 or 5 minute fights.. not counting training camps.. Granted.. these guys have to pay for training, but no one twists their arms..
The lowest paid amount $2,000 x 15 = 133.00 a minute.. not bad change there..
Where as Andre earned 60,000 a minute for a WHOLE 25 minute fight...
Should MMA fighters earn more? Sure.. but with sponsors paying for what amounts to training.. and we are talking about 25 minutes max work... they aren't doing too bad..
MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS
– Fedor Emelianenko $300,000 (no win bonus) def. Andre Arlovski $1,500,000 (win bonus would have been $250,000) -
MAIN CARD FIGHTERS
– Josh Barnett $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel $30,000 (win bonus would have been $9,300)
– Vitor Belfort $200,000 (includes $80,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lindland $225,000 (win bonus would have been $75,000)
– Renato "Babalu" Sobral $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou $50,000 (win bonus would have been $50,000)
– Paul Buentello $90,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Kiril Sidelnikov $10,000 (win bonus would have been $25,000)
– Dan Lauzon $12,000 (no win bonus) def. Bobby Green $4,000 (win bonus would have been $4,000)
– Jay Hieron $45,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Jason High $10,000 (win bonus would have been $5,000)
PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS
– Antonio Rogerio Nogueira $150,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Vladimir Matyushenko $50,000 (win bonus would have been $30,000)
– L.C. Davis $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Bao Quach $7,000 (win bonus would have been $6,000)
– Albert Rios $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Antonio Duarte $3,000 (win bonus would have been $2,000)
– Brett Cooper $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Patrick Speight $2,000 (win bonus would have been $3,000)