Thread: Your Funeral
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Chuck

I believe planning your own funeral is selfish. How did you all take that statement and somehow reach the conclusion that there would be no preparation?

I have a will. I have life insurance. The living care for the arrangements of the dead. No amount of "planning" will change that. Once I'm gone however sudden or gradual it might be those left behind will have to co-ordinate my service, arrangements etc. That can all be planned out in advance and given to a funeral director to make it easier but my point...... was simply that I don't think I should do the planning. I'll have input but I would rather my wife and children make arrangements and plans according to what's best for them... not carrying out some "last wishes" I might have.

And to your point PTM.... I would rather focus on sharing Christ to my friends/family/acquaintances with my life..... and not at my death. If I live my life right all those who know me will know who I was and what I stood for.

I can't even count how many times I've been to funerals and heard the Pastor talk about the deceased's commitment to Christ and thought to myself "I never knew they were a Christian!" I have no desire to be that guy.

I guess to further my rant just a tad... I get quite frustrated going to weddings and funerals where a commitment to Christ is put on display because "it's the right thing to do" but no evidence of Christ is found in either the Bride/Groom or deceased. I find it offensive.

Now by all means... back to your thread......

A black and gold casket would be nice... hopefully something upbeat but that's just me thinking of what might make it easier on others... I'd rather they tell me in advance then just guess