Thread: Please explain!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
people still got smallpox even after being vaccinated from it. and conversely, many didn't get it even though they weren't immunized. smallpox was already on the decline, even before the vaccine came out. as for the article, it's nothing more than a smear campaign by big pharma. here's an example of how Merck (makes Gardasil and MMR among other things), paid a publisher off.
http://www.scienceblogs.com/insolenc...er_to_publ.php
I think you need to read up on the subject a bit more. Variolization has been practiced for at least a millenium. Jenner introduced vaccination with cowpox in 1796. Vaccinia vaccination was introduced in the 19th century. As I mentioned, Smallpox is estimated to have killed at least 300 million people (possibly 500 million people) in the 20th century alone. Your statement, "smallpox was already on the decline, even before the vaccine came out" is absolute nonsense. I suppose the steep drop in the number of cases of other vaccine-preventable disease is a coincidence as well?

If you have some information that a major drug company is falsifying research, please publish it and collect your Pulitzer. Your linked article suggests that Merck was trying to publish a non-peer-reviewed journal. They are called "throw-away" journals for a reason. The pharmaceutical rep gives them to the physician, who throws them in the trash and then reads the New England Journal of Medicine.

Last edited by Play The Man; 07-29-2009 at 07:51 AM.