View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by mscomc
I mean, not to make this a matter of race, because it shoudnt be....but who knows what gates' experiences have been with police in the past? I mean he probably lived through the civil rights movement where cops where known to be less than "fair" to african-americans
Gates made it a matter of race when he started yelling "Is This How You Treat A Black Man In America?" when he was asked to provide identification. Frankly, I don't care about Mr Gate's past experience. He doesn't get a "Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free" card because he "lived through the civil rights movement". All he had to do was say: "I think there has been a mistake here, officer. I live here. Here is my driver's license, which, as you can see, has this address on it. I just returned from vacation and had trouble with a stuck door. Is there anything else I can do to clear this up for you?" It would have taken less than 30 seconds.
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555