View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 AM
mscomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I saw a segment on cable news with an interview with the lawyer of the woman that called the police (yes, she has been so intimidated by the experience that she hired a lawyer to speak for her). The woman that called the police never mentioned the race of the two men entering the home. The dispatcher asked the caller about race and she replied that she thought that one was Hispanic and couldn't tell the race of the other man (Gates) because her view was obstructed. (As a point of clarification, the neighbor that first spotted the "break-in" was elderly and didn't have a cell phone; she asked a passer-by to call on her cellphone). A Hispanic and a Black police officer arrived part-way into the incident and they are supporting the White officer's story. The available police transcripts support the officer, as well. I think the thing that precipitated the arrest was when Gates responded to the officer's request to speak outside on the porch with the reply: "Ya', I'll speak to your Mama outside." All the Professor had to do was pull out his wallet and hand over his driver's license with his address on it. Gates escalated the whole incident. A policeman shouldn't have to put up with insults to his mother.
If her view was obstructed as she says, how could she give accurate information as to someone trying to "force" or break their way into someones house? Anyway, thats not really the point I wanted to make:

Sure in hindsight, maybe the Gates acted a little foolishly and a little hot-headed, but I have yet to hear the full transcript from the police of the entire incident from gates and the officer. On ABC nightly news the other night, all i heard was a segment with the cop saying "the individual claims he lives here, but hes being un-cooperative, keep the cars coming"...or something to that effect.

I mean, not to make this a matter of race, because it shoudnt be....but who knows what gates' experiences have been with police in the past? I mean he probably lived through the civil rights movement where cops where known to be less than "fair" to african-americans........but putting all that side for a moment.....what if during their conversation, that COP really was being a jerk? I think we have all met those kind of cops....ones who just like to try and flex their muscle and act like the big bad boss....this site had like 30 page thread when that grandma got tased by some cop, and people thought he was probably acting all high and mighty.

So, not trying to pick sides, but maybe its not as cut and dry as it looks.