Thread: Please explain!
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
How do they explain a healthy normal child who gets vaccinated and then becomes autistic? This is what puzzles me.
One must always beware of falling into the post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this) fallacy, in which one event is asserted to be the cause of a later event simply by virtue of having happened earlier.

Bonnie, I have a little child and I would be devastated if she developed a medical problem like autism; however, I think some well-meaning people have sent parents on a "wild goose chase". The researcher that posited a link between autism and the MMR vaccine was recently charged with submitting fraudulent data:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5683671.ece
Quote:
THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patientsí data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition
The data for the efficacy of childhood immunizations is absolutely overwhelming. Immunizations (as well as improved nutrition, improved sanitation, and antibiotics) are one of the main reasons that the average life expectancy of Americans has gone up by 3 decades since the late 1800's. With the internet, it is possible for anyone to research the number of cases of a disease in the years before a vaccine was introduced vs. the number of cases in subsequent years. For some infections, the numbers dropped from hundreds of thousands of cases per year to less than a hundred. The graphs demonstrating the decline of cases of infection after the introduction of a vaccine show such a steep drop that it looks like a rock dropping from a cliff.

As TexasRN Amy mentioned, there is unanimity in the mainstream medical community that there is no definite evidence of a link. Autism needs more research funding. Scientists need to find the cause; however, the available evidence says it is not immunizations. I didn't want to cause controversy or belabor a point, but immunizations are so important I felt obligated to post.