View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 04:15 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

OK, so after missing the PPV due to a buddy's suprise-party-turned-engagement-party, I'm finally getting a chance to watch the fights. What follow are my thoughts, and they probably aren't original or ground-breaking:
  • Akiyama/Belcher
    • Haha, "Sexiyama".
    • Man, that was one heck of a ball shot!
    • OK, now I remember where I've heard of Akiyama before: the Asian Greasegate against Sakuraba. I was undecided over who I wanted to see win before, but now I'm solidly in Alan's corner.
    • 3 fairly good back & forth rounds of striking, I'm a little disappointed to not see more judo from Aki, but o well.
    • Man, Aki looks like Stitch is having to put him back together after the fight.
    • Wow, I guess that decision explains the tweet I got from Dana last night...
  • Bisping/Henderson
    • Wow, Bisping honestly believes that Dan's a walk in the park? I hope he's just saying that as hype & not because he's that overconfident.
    • Rnd 1
      • Mike clearly doesn't want to stand still for Dan's shots.
      • BIG SHOTS!!!!! C'mon, end this fight!
      • Dan seems content to be patient & not over-extend.
      • Dan's connecting on some nice straight lefts but itsn't following it up much.
      • Time for some clinch night-mares for Mike.
      • Hahahaha, weakest shot ever!!!
      • 10-9 for Hendo.
    • Rnd 2
      • Mike starting the rnd with som eleg slaps but no real power behind 'em
      • Dan's still pounding away with power shots
      • Mike may be winning this rnd on oct. control, Dan needs to put it on him now.
      • GOOD NIGHT!!! BYE BYE BLACKBIRD!!!!!!!
      • AHHHHHHHHHHHahahahahahaha, I love it! The two most arrogant, annoying, TUF winners in history get poleaxed with just 1 PPV between 'em!!
  • Alves/GSP
    • Well, unfortunately, I already know the outcome of this one (thanks for the spoiler, Kim), but not the when or how, so I guess it'll be interesting to see if it's a close fight or if GSP walks all over him.
    • Rnd 1
      • Nice takedowns by GSP early. Great job of following up when Thiago stood up.
      • RNC this early????? No way!
      • I'm impressed with how easily Alves got back up.
      • Man, two kicks & GSP's leg already matches his shorts...
      • GSP's answering with some wicked kicks as well.
      • Thiago's starting to look more comfortable now as the round ends, but I think GSP takes it due to the TDs & taking the back
      • Man, if Thiago's eye-lid is cut & all Goldie can talk abuot is Couture/Belfort, I'm gonna be pissed.
      • 10-9 for GSP.
    • Rnd 2
      • These TDs are looking really easy for GSP, but Thiago's using good defensive BJJ to keept GSP from passing.
      • The GnP here is textbook right now. Although I notice that GreaSeP's not "slipping" through guard as easily as he used to! :whistle:
      • Good to get up, but Thiago looks exhausted
      • I really like listening to Greg Jackson in between rounds. He's very calm & deliberate & precise with what he saysand what he wants his guys to hear.
      • 10-9 for GSP.
    • Rnd 3
      • Shocking, Thiago's coming out more fired up, just like Greg called.
      • Nice job with the TD defense, but I think that now he's been reminded of GSP's plan & he's hesitant now to throw, giving GSP time to set up a much better TD. Thiago looks out of his depth right now.
      • It seems like the only time GSP really has to be scared of Thiago is the 1st 15-20sec of a rnd or after a stand-up. After that panic flurry, Thiago gets scare of the TDs again & gets reserved.
      • Quick 1-2 from GSP drops Alves, can he finish????
      • Yet another rnd easily scored for GSP. He gets those TDs becuase he never gives up on them. He commits fully to all his attempts.
      • Haha, Greg even compliments GSP's nose-blowing!!
      • 10-9 for GSP.
    • Rnd 4
      • GSP is on fire right now. Mount.
      • Thiago's head looks likes it's going to pop it's so purple right now.
      • Armbar attempt lost, how's GSP handle bottom?
      • Defending fairly well, never took much damage.
      • Floors him again. Catches the foot, counters with the right & drops on top.
      • Thiago looks like he's been
      • Oooowwww, pulled ground. That sucks.
      • Hahaha "I don't care, hit him with your groin!" Really impressed with Greg's ability to nuetralized his fighters' worries & get them focused.
      • 10-9 for GSP.
    • Rnd 5
      • GSP needs to be smart here, Thiago's going to be looking for a home run all fight long. There will be a lot of desperation moves.
      • GSP's not showing any signs of groin pain, he's masking it well, not giving Thiago any hint that he's in pain.
      • 9th TD of the fight.
      • The Kampmann/Swick winner gets GSP next? Boo on that, niether of them are ready for GSP!
      • I count that as a 10th TD.
      • I guess no back-flip this fight, huh?
      • This rnd may well be 10-8. Thaigo's done nothing to threaten.
    • I've gotta guess at least a 50-44, maybe more.
  • Lesnar/Mir
    • Rnd 1
      • Oooooo $h!t, no glove touch!!
      • OK, Brock in 1/2 guard, but seems to just be stalling right now...
      • Brock looks a litle nervous right now, afraid to open up & get caught.
      • Man, vicious punches to the face, Mir's bleeding a lot already. This arm control Brock's using is crazy. Frank can't be feeling good right now.
      • Brock's doing a good job of not giving Frank space to pull anything off, but he's not being overly exciting, either.
      • Man, Brock's almost as tall sitting as his corners are standing!!
    • Rnd 2
      • Brock looks exhausted for some reason. Are actually going to see a HW affected by the weight-cut?
      • DONE!
      • Man, those were some ridiculous power shots, Frank's still out of it.
      • Wow, has Brock been hanging out with the Diaz bros?
  • Fitch/Thiago:
    • Rnd 1
      • O man, Fitch, don't tell me you're gonna tap to a guillotine now.
      • C'mon, Jon, let's go.
      • Nice! Good patience. Time to capitalize.
      • Nice technical battle. Not exciting, but still enjoyable to watch them work.
      • 10-9, Thiago, I think.
    • Rnd 2
      • Nice punches lead to a nice TD by Fitch.
      • Really, Fitch, you're gonna give up another guillotine?
      • Another TD.
      • Man, everybody in MMA these days rides way too high on the back.
      • I'd give this round to Jon, 10-9.
    • Rnd 3
      • More nice hands lead to another nice TD for Fitch.
      • Thiago's got a nice butterfly guard, but Fitch is neutralizing it well.
      • Paulo's getting worked right now. It's like Matt says: "You punch a BJJ black belt in the face a coupla times, he turns into a white belt."
      • 10-9 for Fitch.