View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
IMO, only 10% of the population would pass. We all seem to be pretty knowledgeable about U.S. History so I think from our pool of people, we will be a little better than average.
You are probably correct. During a recent trip I picked up a book in the airport bookstore entitled: The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future - *Or Don't Trust Anyone Under 30. In brief, the author, an English professor, thinks that the current generation under 30 is the least knowledgeable in recent history. He theorizes it is because they don't read books - any books - whether fiction or nonfiction; ancient history or science fiction; reading as assigned in school or for pleasure. He attributes the lack of reading to time spent in other pursuits such as: video games, Ipods, the internet, texting, Facebook, etc.

He relates some pretty grim statistics that make the average under 30 look like one of the interviewees of a "Jay-walking" segment on the Tonight Show. In a 2003 study of 15 to 26 year-olds, only 10% could identify the Speaker of the House, while 64% knew the latest American Idol. A 2004 study showed only one-quarter of 18 to 24 year-olds could identify Dick Cheney as the vice-president. A 1998 study of teenagers showed that only 41% could name the three branches of government (59% identified the Three Stooges by name). The 250-page book is filled with study after study, painting a devastating picture.