View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
We agree, maybe more than you think.

I know how it works in boxing, and yes, you do have to pay a fee to those sanctioning bodies, but the point is that the Boxers are not ultimately controlled by the sanctioning bodies. There are so many titles in boxing, average fans could really care less. They just want to see the best fights. So, in that sense, the fighters control their own destinies. If Pac-Man and PBF booked a fight right now, everybody would tune in, regardless of who has what title belt from where. It used to matter a lot more, but Boxing has changed a lot.

The UFC's problem is trying to make themselves into a mainstream sports organization, but also being to private at the same time. The public end of their business is what has drawn all this controversy, but it's the private part of their business that would uncover the real corruption. That's why the UFC will remain private as long as it can. Unfortunately, MMA has already been corrupted in more ways than one. If boxing has taught us anything, it's how this whole thing is ultimately going to play out.

You are right, and yes, I think we agree across the board on this. The multitude of titles and the constant haggling I think in a lot of ways has drained the life from the sport of boxing. Its still boxing though, which I guess despite having had people uncover curruption scandals that would make even Dana blush, people still love it, as do I.

The UFCs dilemma is just perplexing to me. Its obvious they want to hold the MMA market like say the NFL/NBA does with their sports, but the variables are just so much more extreme then either the NFL or the NBA. It seems to me the UFC is trying desperately to keep the growth of MMA isolated and channelled through them, but those damn loose strings. Fedor, Randys constant bucking, GSP maintaining his loyalty to Affliction (Which can be perceived as a threat) despite Danas threats to drop them, and a host of other issues. The Iron Hand/Joseph Stalin approach is bound to back-fire, which I think we're starting to see the stress cracks now. Its just to exhausting for fighters and their families to have to deal with.