View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 04:17 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Boxing is ultimately controlled by the fighters themselves. Of course, there are still promoters and managers pulling strings, and just like MMA, the odd men out usually the ones on the lower end of the totem poll. Still, fighters are viewed as individuals, not by-products of a brand name.

That is where MMA is eventually going to go. After a while, people get sick of being ripped off. That is when they either quit, or they cut out the middle man.

There are two reasons that other orgs cannot compete with the UFC in my opinion; 1. Overall production quality. 2. Brand name association. Even when fighters leave the UFC or choose not to sign with them, it has proven to have little or no effect on the UFC at all. The only competition that has even really made a blip on the radar since UFC bought Pride has been when EXC had the network deal with ABC, and we saw how that ended....

I understand why other orgs can't compete with the UFC, and as I said earlier, it would take the UFC losing big names for that to happen.

As for my point, boxing consists of many sanctioning Orgs that co-promote fights. It doesnt matter how big a fighter is, without them, they won't get beyond their plastic title in Mexico City. This has been the fuel for the scandals within the sport for years actually because it has been said many times that if you want a shot at the belt, you're going to need more money then knock out power. Anyway, Dana has before touched on the curruption that has plagued boxing (WBA in particular) which I can assume is why he/UFC work so hard to make sure most orgs don't last. I understand and actually agree with him on this, but what I don't agree with is the way the UFC very publicly conduct their business.

I have been involved in boxing for 15+ years and I do not want to see MMA become currupted as boxing has. The irony, to me, is Dana says the same thing yet very publicly lashes and attempts to restrict the flow of capital in the UFC to sponsors as well as to fighters. How can a person claim to be a champion against curruption and yet seem to be the very epicenter of all money disputes and wrong doing. What bothers me worse is the UFC doesnt seem to give two s*^&s about what people think, and or how they are perceived. Its all about the money, which goes against everything Dana has claimed up until now.