Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick signed for UFC 103 bout in September
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jun 29, 2009 at 6:55 pm ET
Middleweight-prospects-turned-welterweight-contenders Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) have finalized bout agreements for a contest that will have an immediate impact on the UFC's 170-pound division.
) has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to meet at the as-yet-unannounced UFC 103 event in Dallas, expected to take place Sept. 19.
Additional sources familiar with the bout have indicated the organization may be utilizing the contest to determine who will meet the reigning welterweight titleholder following the UFC 100 title fight between current champ Georges St. Pierre and challenger Thiago Alves.
Kampmann is 2-0 at 170 pounds after making the switch from middleweight following a September 2008 loss to Nate Marquardt.
The Xtreme Couture fighter earned a split-decision over former WEC champion Carlos Condit in a rousing contest in the main event of UFC Fight Night 18 in April. That result followed a January TKO win over Alexandre Barros in Kampmann's first fight at welterweight.
Swick is currently riding a four-fight winning streak in the welterweight division after compiling a 5-1 mark at 185 pounds. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter earned a second-round TKO over Ben Saunders at UFC 99 earlier this month, after which he called out former champ Matt Hughes.
But prior to the fight, Swick told MMAjunkie.com he was simply looking for the biggest fights available.
"I'm going to go in there and try to show that I deserve a big fight in my next fight," Swick said. "If I win this next fight, that will put me at 9-1 in the UFC against some tough opponents. I definitely think I deserve a big fight."