View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
http://www.american.com/archive/2008...tion-of-givers

I think a book by Arthur Brooks entitled Who Really Cares at least partially answers your question about what is good about America. I read the book but I think it is packed up in a box right now so I can't reference it at the moment. In brief, America is an incredibly generous country. Below is a quote from Brooks from an internet article that offers some proof:

Brooks goes on to show that American conservatives are much more generous than American liberals. Their generosity not only encompasses giving to religious charities but secular ones as well. In addition, their generosity is expressed not just in monetary gifts; conservatives are much more likely to volunteer their time than liberals (to both religious and secular activities). The findings appear to be robust - conservatives are even more likely to donate blood than liberals. Brooks found that the conservative/liberal difference was explained by religion. Liberal religious believers were as generous as conservatives but there were few liberal religious believers as compared to conservative religious believers so the conservative statistics were much more impressive.

Americans work more hours per week than most Europeans and take less vacation time. In addition, America's productivity per hour worked is quite high compared to other countries. We are wealthy, yes, but we work hard for it. Could we be more generous and more hard-working? YES; however, I don't think Europeans should be lecturing us. I think this is a case where Europeans should worry about the beam in their own eye rather than the mote in America's eye.
That extends to Hospitality aswell. there is no place on Earth that is more...I dont know what the word is...Chivilrous I guess, then visiting America. The People are so nice...even in the Cities compared to people in Europe.

For example, you can actually talk and smile and say good morning to people you dont know in America. That doesnt happen in this country very often at all.

I actually spoke to an Rich Franklin about this somewhat, he brought it up, when I asked him how his trip to Germany went. As a UFC fighter they really do seem to send him a lot of places abroad, Ireland, Continental Europe, his name keeps coming up on these cards. I just asked him if he had enjoyed himself in Koln.. He said that he got a suprisingly warm welcome considering he was American...I thought that was an odd thing to say...he seemed to indicate that Americans dont always get such a welcome...which I think is really sad...Unfortunately, Americans can never seem to get the same hospitality offered to them outside of their Country...it must mean that sometimes traveling to another country must be a little bit of a let-down I suppose.

I always love traveling to the United States, I've only been once, but I knew I would love it...I loved it the moment I got onto the plane They say that if you walk around America and have an English Accent, you get treated like Royalty...and from my experience thats absolutely True

I remember this woman in this burger bar thing, asked me Twice if I wanted salad on my burger just so she could hear me pronounce Toe-Mar-Toe again. She told me they call it Tom-a-toe