View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
What makes you think that they haven't? I can give you factual information about my union and the major give-backs that we have given over the past decade and a half, if not two decades.

People seem to forget, you get what you pay for. You want employees that have dedication and care about the job, you pay them well and treat them well. You want fast turnover and a crappy product, pay a crappy wage and treat employees like scum.

While I have never needed my union to save my job from actions of my own doing, I have seen members need to use the union to keep clueless members of management in check. There is good and bad in unions just as there is good and bad in life in general.

My years as a shop steward made me see good and bad in both the union's position and in management's position. When I have been in a management position, I've treated the employees with respect and they in turn did the job and treated me with respect back. Never once did I have a complaint from the union against me.

I've seen more non-union managers hung out to dry and lose their jobs by my company than any union employee. They had nothing to protect them and many of them wished that they did. In fact some members of management gave up their position and joined the union ranks, and vice-versa.
Yeah,pretty much every union has had to give things back in some form or another. When people have no money to buy the goods and services, the companies cannot afford to operate at the same costs. That is just how it works. You can give some things back, or not have a job at all when the company goes out of business. I did not say that "they haven't", I just said that they have to take a hit too. Everybody is.

Paying a higher wage does not always mean you get a higher quality product. Besides, if a company puts out a crappy product, the market will fix that problem itself. Nobody buys crappy products for long.

Sure, unions can be used to protect workers in certain situations, but the road to failure is paved with good intentions. Look at the very situation cited in this thread. The teachers are paid by the school districts which are funded by TAX DOLLARS. Now a bunch of teachers who should probably be fired are sitting on their ass and getting paid because of union rules.

It's a two way street, and companies do not have to work with unions. However, if they don't then the unions will boycott the companies. How fair is that? In some industries unions are okay, but in the biggest industries there is a lot of problems that end up driving up costs for everybody, both directly and indirectly.

My problem is not with workers being fairly compensated, everybody wants that. However, I am a person who also values the free-market system, and unions can have as much negative effect on our economy as monopolies can.

Last edited by J.B.; 06-24-2009 at 08:01 AM.