View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
So what?

Unions also drive up costs for consumers, and the inner politics of unions are laced with corruption from top to bottom.

Yeah, in many cases they do fight for fair compensation, but ONLY for whats fair for the workers. Unions do little to take into to consideration what is good for the industry that has given them a job in the first place.

The point Nate raised about the UAW is spot on. Let me give you another example. The Major League Baseball Players Association, which I consider to be one of the most powerful unions in existence, is directly responsible for a lot of the problems in Baseball. It costs an arm and a leg to take your family to a game nowadays, and it's largely because of the policies the MLBPA has been fighting for over the last 30 years.

I could go on, but I am late to a recording session. More later.

Tell that "so what" to the family that lost their primary source of income and medical insurance when the breadwinner lost their job because the boss didn't like the employee and would rather hire minimum wage employees than keep his highly trained employees who earned and produced more.

Tell that to the employees who were let go one week before they would be vested in the company, losing not only their source of income but also their homes, retirement, and life savings due to the greed of the CEO's.

The blame for the auto industry should go upon the corporate CEO's who mismanaged the funds and took their millions in guaranteed money yet didn't have the smarts to run a lemonade stand. Bad business practices and decisions aren't the fault of the union worker; deep inside you probably know that to be true but can't/won't admit it.

To be fair though, all unions aren't the same and I don't like the fact the the lazy sob's have the same protection. A smart company can terminate a union employee if they have all their ducks in a row.

Your blanket statements which includes all unions show that you really don't know much about the struggle from the labor point of view.