Thread: Clay/Nate
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
A. sigh... using wrestling to nullify a striker's stand-up game (in this case, a pretty damn good stand-up game) IS controlling the fight. He slammed Nate a few times, scored takedowns, reversals, threw several high crotches, tied him up in the clinch, he worked a 3 quarter and I def saw him use a cradle, he nubbed Diaz's reversal/take down attempts. I think this was one of the best examples of using wrestling to complete control the fight.

Diaz had such a HUGE reach advantage and dangerous stand-up and he's a brown belt in BJJ. e.i. standing in front of him and banging is a terrible idea, and sitting in his guard is a terrible idea. Clay worked his wrestling and took away all options for Diaz. Perfection.

B. That was a pretty sweet full nelson, though it was the second I have seen in the UFC, I think Fitch did one as well. But he tried it as a submission where Clay used it EXTREMELY effectively to gain side control
I didn't know how to say ALL that, but if I had, you would have taken the words right out of my mouth.

Whenever, Clay was on top of him (I guess in Diaz's guard) I was screaming at the TV for Clay to watch out for those long legs; Diaz almost could have had him a couple of times. I'm surprised that Dave and some others just saw the fight as Clay just laying on Diaz's back or as just "holding" him. I think both of them were being "defensive" in trying not to be caught by the other.