View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Liberties and freedoms? Obviously you've never been married.
I've suffered with my friends through their marriages.

Quote:
I would disagree. Marriage is not a right, it's a privilege, and no one is entitled to it. In fact, why are people entitled to these benefits just because they get married? Why can't a single person enjoy some of these benefits and entitlements as well?
Some of the benefits a single person would have no use for. There are tax benefits married folks who chose to have kids get that I don't feel are right either.

Quote:
Show me where the Constitution guarantees the "right of marriage."
I believe it falls under the scope from the DOI.

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Quote:
I personally believe that the government shouldn't even be involved in the marriage business. Either you get married in a church or you don't get married at all. What about atheists? You ask. Why do atheists care about marriage in the first place?
You wish to use religion to deny someone the chance for marriage. Atheists still wish to form a marital bond with their partner. Why would you wish to deny this? Isn't it better for society and families for a bond of marriage to be given rather than have a society full of unwed people cohabitating which may lead to promiscuity and then possibly a deterioration of the family structure?

Quote:
Yeah, I remember, your "evidence" wasn't evidence at all. The only people it convinced were those who already believed that people are born gay. Not to mention those people who are dumb enough to believe that the internet is a reliable source of information.
You just don't agree with it, but there are many out there that do agree with the evidence I linked to. You yourself seem to use the internet to garner information. What does that make you?

Quote:
But it shoots down your silly notion that this is somehow tied with racism.
The issue wasn't about racism, but how due to views of society, marriages weren't allowed. I already explained that though. If you choose not to accept it fine, I feel no need to further expand on my response. I think I stated my intentions with clarity.

Quote:
We are also a government of, by and for the people. Our government is a servant to the will of the people, not the other way around.
What about the people it is doing a dis-service to?