View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
That is interesting stuff, I never really knew that about the Queen's power. I almost like the idea of the Speaker not being attached to any political party better than our way. It allows for too much political pandering to one extreme or the other. In all honesty though, I am convinced that ANYBODY would be a better Speaker than Nancy Pelosi. She is so fake she might as well be made of plastic.
The difference is...if you take away the Government, and the Opposition parties...you are still left with "The House" even if its empty...the House itself is an Office...and its taken up by the Administrator of Parliament basically...that is what the Speaker is. Now with a job like that...they CANT be connected to any of the parties.

As for the Queens powers...you might like to know the most harsh words ever spoken in the House was against the Government after the Royalists lost the civil war and the Monarchy was axed (literally, executed)

There were three stages to the Civil war, the last Stage was after Charles had been executed and the Parliament who had served under Oliver Cromwell, refused to disband. Oliver thought they were as corrupt as the King, even though they had been in opposition to the King. They refused to disband as had been decided

So he burst into Parliament in April 1653 and said the following

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in the place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of virtue, and defiled by your practise of every vice. Ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government, ye are a pack of mercenary wretches and would, like Esau, seel your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas, betray you GOD for a few piece of money. Is there a single virtue now remaining amoungst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion then my horse, Gold is your God which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amoungst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth? Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defiled this sacred place and turned the Lords Temple into a den of theives by your immoral principles and wicked practise? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation, you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed and are yourselves become the greatest grivance. Your country therefore calls upon me to cleanse this augean stable, by putting a final period to your iniquitous proceedings in this House, and which, by GODs help, and the strength he hath given me, I am now come to do. I command ye therefore upon the peril of your lives to depart immediately, out of this place, go, get you out, make haste, ye venal slaves be gone, so, take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the Name of GOD...GO"

...and they went