Thread: Death Penalty
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 AM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Buzzard, you're making a slight error in your thinking. The link you posted doesn't prove that the death is a deterrent, but it also doesn't disprove that it's a deterrent.

There's been a ton of studies done recently trying to figure this out one way or another & the best the researchers can come up with is "I dunno, we can't tell".
I know that my link doesn't prove nor disprove it as being a deterrent, though it does offer evidence to show that states without the DP have lower homicide rates than those with the DP. I offered it up to show that those states with the death penalty don't seem to deter criminals from crime as compared to states without the death penalty. Crimes occurs in all states, but the rates are lower in non-DP states.

Quoted from my link.

Quote:
States Without the Death Penalty Have Better Record on Homicide Rates - A new survey by the New York Times found that states without the death penalty have lower homicide rates than states with the death penalty. The Times reports that ten of the twelve states without the death penalty have homicide rates below the national average, whereas half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above. During the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48% - 101% higher than in states without the death penalty.