View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
Exactly what section and article of the CONUS are you saying is violated if gays get married? Seriously, I would like to hear the specific parts and have a chance at a rebuttal, and why you think that. It doesn't infringe on your right to religion, as you still get to practice your religion, and it doesn't force you to accept it. As a minister, you could also be sued for refusing a service to an interracial couple. Do you have a problem with that too?

As a business owner you could also be sued if you refused to give insurance to an employee who is a single gay person if you discriminated against that person based on sexual orientation too, so I don't really think that you have a case on this part.

"The marriage ban works a deep and scarring hardship on a very real segment of the community for no rational reason. The absence of any reasonable relationship between, on the one hand, an absolute disqualification of same-sex couples who wish to enter into civil marriage and, on the other, protection of public health, safety, or general welfare, suggests that the marriage restriction is rooted in persistent prejudices against persons who are (or who are believed to be) homosexual. "The Constitution cannot control such prejudices but neither can it tolerate them. Private biases may be outside the reach of the law, but the law cannot, directly or indirectly, give them effect." Limiting the protections, benefits, and obligations of civil marriage to opposite-sex couples violates the basic premises of individual liberty and equality under law protected by the Massachusetts Constitution...."

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...Goodridge.html

Granted, this is from , but I think that it also will or should hold ground in every other state.

In addition, it violates the provision in the DOI of the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

From the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_l...t_of_happiness If you find the wikipedia source to be incorrect, please let me know.
So exactly what were civil unions NOT providing that gays have decided that they want marriage instead?