View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 05:43 PM
gymcoach97

Granted, this is a bodybuilder type of program...so, I won't even weigh in on the fact that this is not a program for athletic performance.

However, I will make a few comments since I spend half of my waking life studying training and performance enhancement...you have a lot more pushing types of exercises as opposed to pulling. That's going to cause people to become over-developed on the front side and less developed on the back side and could contribute to thoracic kyphosis (i.e. rounded shoulders posture) which is all too common in bodybuilders. Where this becomes a problem is the fact that kyphosis posture leads to future neck pain, shoulder problems, etc.

In addition, the sit-ups don't exactly help, either. The rectus abdominis is a trunk flexor and as it gets more and more shortened via trunk flexion exercises, it will pull the rib cage downward and also lead contribute to the kyphosis. Not only that, but trunk flexion is not good on the lumbar spine. It causes a lot of anterior shear and compression forces and research has indicated that these types of forces contribute greatly to disc herniation.

While I'm sure the program will build strength and size because of the sheer volume, I'd consider taking out some of the pressing and add in more pulling. Also, I see no need for all of the bicep curl variations. Most pulling exercises will target the biceps as a synergist - reverse/neutral grip seated rows, chin-ups, reverse/neutral grip bent-over rows, reverse/neutral grip inverted rows, etc.

If the hands are pronated (overgrip), the biceps tendon actually gets tangled up between the radius and ulna of the forearm (because they cross over one another during forearm pronation and the biceps inserts on the radius) and that makes the biceps less useful and elbow flexion (curl) movements fall predominantly on the brachalis and brachioradialis. That's why pull-ups are usually harder than chin-ups. You're only able to really utilize two of the three main elbow flexor muscles during a pull-up as opposed to all three during a chin-up.