View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I thought so, too, but I actually just listened to one of Joe Rogan's podcasts where he talked to an endocrinologist. He's been practicing for about 30yrs now & has dealt with cases where non-concussive blows have shut down testosterone production in guys as young as 17. He's 100% convinced that a) life as an MMA fighter would almost certainly be detrimental testosterone production, & b) if you're on TRT, you have no place in a combat sport.

It was a really, really interesting interview. I highly recommend it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJeGeclGDpQ
Okay, I was basing my comments on what I read in the initial article you posted (bolded below). The experts interviewed for the article say they are unaware of any controlled studies done that had shown head trauma in an athlete had shut down hormone production. And, "This kind of [hormonal] change has not been noted in autopsies of CTE patients."

Quote:
To Pierce's point, researchers have documented pituitary dysfunction as result of head trauma in battered children, as well as victims of severe car accident and soldiers injured in war, but medical experts caution that in most cases individuals suffered an extreme injury, often accompanied by cerebral hemorrhage.

As for MMA fighters, medical experts question the logic of allowing someone diagnosed as suffering head trauma to step back in an MMA octagon. It would figure there'd also be some signs of cognitive problems. At the very least, a full CAT scan should be done to rule out permanent damage or anything catastrophic, they said.

Some experts further challenge the notion of head trauma triggering the shutdown or reduction of testosterone production in MMA fighters, noting that multiple hormones likely would be affected by damage to the hypothalamus or pituitary -- not just the production of testosterone.

Four endocrinologists and neuropathologists interviewed by "Outside the Lines" also said they were unaware of any controlled studies in which it had been shown head trauma in an athlete had shut down hormone production. The only definitive way to make such an observation is to autopsy brains after death, and an expert in the study of chronic traumatic encephalopathy in athletes indicated research to date had recorded no such hormone deficiencies.

"There doesn't appear to be any direct evidence from what I can see that that would be an answer for why they would have hypogonadism," said Dr. Ronald Hamilton, a Pittsburgh-based neuropathologist who has reviewed brain autopsies of former NFL players. "This kind of [hormonal] change has not been noted in autopsies of CTE patients."
To Dr. Gordon, it makes sense that if those areas of the brain that make hormones are damaged you would likely see negative effects in the body. However, I think we need MORE definitive medical evidence that shows the correlation between head trauma and low testosterone specifically in athletes who have taken steroids or other performance enhancing substances that also could cause low testosterone. Maybe the only way to tell will be by doing autopsies of the brains of these MMA fighters like they're doing with former NFL players.

For now, I'll take back my "bogus" and substitute "sketchy".