View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Matt Hughes would be surprised if Georges St-Pierre returned to UFC

From MMAFighting.com (By David St. Martin on Feb 28 2014, 8:00a):
Quote:
Maybe not exactly toeing the UFC's company line, former welterweight champion and current front office exec Matt Hughes doesn't sound optimistic on a Georges St-Pierre return to fighting. Speaking with Sportsnet, Hughes says St-Pierre's sabbatical came as no surprise to him.

"No, it didn't surprise me a whole lot. People have been catching Georges a little bit, and I'm talking the past three or four years. People have been catching up to him, to his abilities. He's at the age where he's going to start slowing down just a little bit. Georges has made a lot of money. Gosh, what's he got to prove? What's he want to do? I wasn't real surprised. I would probably be a little more surprised if he ever came back."

Following his controversial decision victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November, St-Pierre claimed his mental health could be at risk if he didn't take some time away from competition. Hughes, who says he can certainly empathize with his position, believes St-Pierre has had enough of Hendricks for this lifetime.

"I don't think he wants to go in there and face Johny Hendricks again. Judging wise, it could have been close. Even though I did have Johny winning, the first round was extremely close. On the ground, Johny Hendricks won. He beat GSP up. In the rounds Georges won, he barely won. So I don't think he wants to go back in and take another beating like that against Johny Hendricks."