View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I think that was a good choice by Chris and his corner. He looked very dazed and Uriah really pounded him in the closing minute.
I was really impressed by the wisdom that Leben showed there. It felt very strange to watch though.
Quote:
Dustin Poirier vs. Diego Brandao

Round 1:
The referee for this one is Mario Yamasaki. No love lost between Poirier and Brandao after the Brazilian camd in eight pounds overweight. Poirier the early aggressor. Brandao coils back and lets a huge overhand right fly, which glances off of Poirier, but he's okay. They exchange leg kicks And again, Brandoa throws a bomb, this time a left, and Poirier blocks it with his arms. Poirier through straight neat jabs, and Brandao winging bombs. Poirier the more angular body, and so far he's using the length, throwing his punches down the boulevard. Big shot by Brandao momentarily drops Poirier, and the crowd lets up a whoop, but he's back to his feet. Poirier very steady and methodical. Using combos off the leg kicks. Brandao shoots for a double-leg, and scores it. Poirier scoots to fence where he's able to stand back up, and he lets fury fly. Here's a barrage on the fence! He is pummeling Brandao with his right hand. Yamasaki right there. Brandao surviving. Now he's eating hammerfists, one after another, and Yamasaki has seen enough. He steps in and Poirier gets the TKO!

UFC 168 official results: Dustin Poirier def. Diego Brandao via TKO (strikes) at 4:54
So stoked for Dustin! He came up through BJJ Revolution team, the same guys I train with!
Quote:
Jim Miller vs. Fabricio Camoes

Round 1:
Herb Dean the referee. Miller circling and lunges in with a right hand, which goes errange. Now Camoes ties him up on fence and looks for the trip. Nice little parting shot as they break from Miller. Camoes comes up top with head kick, but gets Miller's forearm. Now they plant and stand in, and both swing. Eat man eats a good punch. They do the same at the other side of the cage, and Miller might have taken the worst of that encounter. Inside leg kick from Miller, and Camoes comes over top with punch. Miller snatches him and puts him on the ground, and lands a couple of shots. Camoes up, and now he drags Miller down and goes to work in his guard. Short elbows from Camoes. Miller slips his leg over Camoes' shoulder and going for an armbar. He plies it hard. Crowd roaring. And there's the tap! Miller's jiu-jitsu shows up again, and trumps a great jiu-jitsu practitioner. Camoes walked away shaking his arm out. Might have done some damage.

Official UFC 168 results: Jim Miller def. Fabricio Camoes via submission (armbar) at 3:42 of R1.

Errange??? Whoever is doing the commentary over at mmafighting must be smoking something funny...Maybe I should do my own commentary but I'm pretty sure it would be amateurish to the nth (it was around 2 years before I knew the difference between an armbar and a kimura).
That was a really AWESOME armbar! I'm really looking forward to the Gracie Breakdown!!