View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN1 View Post

And secondly—to-day is the anniversary of the landing of King William III, at Torbay, by which the hope of Popish ascendancy was quashed, and religious liberty was secured, 1688.
Yeah...you see I am no fan of The Glorious Revolution, though I grant you it put a stop, once and for all to Romanism in England of any importance.

The Glorious Revolution was under two extraordinary Monarchs, and with two extraordinary purposes. King William III, was William of Orange, a French provincial king who the British Parliament sought the help of after the Restoration when the Monarchy, yet again, looked about ready to become Roman Catholic. They performed a Coup against the rightful heir, and made a foreign King regnant by marriage to the ousted leaders Sister. They were, thus both fully regnant at the same time, although one outlived the other.

The first purpose was known as The Act of Settlement. On the proviso that when the linage of the current Protestant Monarchs became extinct, the next in line to found their own dynasty had to be a Protestant also. The list of successon was so full of romans that when this took place, the nearest King was something like 50th in line to the throne. He would be the founder of the Hanoverian Dynasty. I have no problem with that.

But there was a second purpose to this. Something changed at the outbreak of the Civil war, that, despite the restoration and the rest of a dynastic tree, the Government had become, how does one put it.... Permanent, and believed that actually it held the true power. The Glorious Revolution effectively stripped the monarchy of any real power at all. From that point on the Parliamentarians would never stop their march to an equal share of dicatorialism. Though this happened in small steps...you can see it yourself with the mood in Westminster at the time of the American uprising. The Kings of the Dynasty after this "Glorious Revolution" were being litterally stripped of their powers. As a Royalist, that is NOT something to celebrate...and this Revolution got Royal Asscent under William III...so I have real mixed feelings in saying that the coup in order to bring about his reign, was a GODsend.

William and Mary are responsible for the lack of monarchy in England today. They are responsible for giving parliament a free reign that allowed nasty partisanship and corrupt politicians to rule instead of one supposed to be annointed by GOD to lead....but strictly from the point of view of a Protestant Parliamentarian...I suppose you could take the view that the latter helpped make both absolute.