View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Why do you say "first time since WWII"? President Bush went to Congress to get approval for Iraq and Afghanistan.

I heard some say the President didn't need Congress' approval to act militarily on Syria and others say he did so I was confused. If I'm understanding what I've read regarding Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution, by virtue of being Commander in Chief, a President is allowed to take military action without having to go to Congress. He can't declare war, only Congress has the power to do that.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should go to Congress...he should have gone to Congress before now, before he made all these public statements about taking action. And he certainly shouldn't be leaking information and talking publicly about what action he's planning to take! I just don't understand the way he's going about this, it's hurting his credibility even more, if that's possible, and it's hurting our country's credibility, our standing in the world.

This will just embolden countries like Iran, Syria, North Korea, and Russia even more.
some how i don't think any way obama could have handled this would have made you happy ... obama is doing the right thing in getting the ok from congress, but it has to be twisted so that he is only doing it to blame them later down the road