Thread: Gun Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I still don't like the idea of a teacher having a firearm. I would rather have an armed law enforcement officer. I think the teachers should be protecting/getting the kids to safety without worrying about readying a firearm and preparing for confrontation. Then the officer could solely concentrate on the offender knowing the staff are tending the kids. I wouldn't want a teacher to have two priorities to deal with.
Imagine a scenario where a lunatic walks into a classroom and starts shooting. Then moves to the next classroom. If that teacher has access to a firearm he/she could act immediately when the lunatic comes in rather than waiting for the armed guard (or whoever) to arrive. If the guard is at the other end of the school, he might not even know what's happening until it's too late. Armed teachers might not prevent every murder, but I think they could at least reduce the number.

Of course, this would be for teachers who choose the option and are trained in the use and handling of a firearm. Best scenario, lunatic doesn't even enter school because he knows some of the staff are armed.