View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
PTM, how about some a review, particularly the gigantic McGinnes book? (I take it that is the follow-up to Fatal Vision?). I'd also like to know what you thought of the Lileks and Summerscale books.

I just recalled that McGinnis is the same guy who stalked S. Palin for a story. I had read Fatal Vision but have zero interest in anything he has to say anymore. I'd still like to hear about the other 2 books though, PTM, I was just looking at Amazon and see that the Lileks book is hard to find - my library doesn't have it either!
Final Vision is a Kindle Single. Kindle Singles are short e-books about the length of a long magazine article, pamphlet, or booklet. They sell for about $2 or $3 rather than the cost of a regular e-book, which is usually $10 or $12. Jeffrey MacDonald has been appealing in the courts for years and this fall there was an important hearing. Final Vison refutes the arguments put forward by MacDonald and his defense team. There was a female drug addict who confessed to being present during the killings. She was a pathological liar who told different stories to different people. She died in the 80's from cirrhosis. MacDonald claims that she and her friends killed his family. The judge should make a ruling this spring. It sounds as if this case will not be finalized for 2-3 more years.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher was good. It is about a child murder that occurred in an upper-middle-class home in rural Victorian England. The case was investigated by a Detective Whicher, one of the original detectives of Scotland yard. It has been on several lists of the best in crime-related books.

I am only about 1/3 of the way through the Lilek's book. It was only $3 at the Kindle store so I decided to give it a chance. It is about a failed journalist who inherits an old mansion and gets accidentally drawn into several poisoning cases perpetrated by a leftist terrorist organization called the AIL (Alimentary Instruction League). I was curious because it is based in Minnesota and I have ties there. Lileks tends to use a lot of imaginative similes and metaphors and tries to introduce humorous elements. It can be hit or miss at times but I'm interested in seeing how the story plays out.