View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Everybody is biased and it's not a negative thing, it's just been given a negative stigma in recent times. You can't get rid of your biases, you can simply identify them and learn to take them into account.

For instance, I'm biased to prefer a Christian worldview over a Muslim, Hindu or Atheist worldview. If you are married, then you are biased to prefer your wife over every other woman on the planet. If you have children, then you are biased towards your children's welfare over the welfare of other children. If you want to see a murderer convicted for his crimes, then you are biased to prefer law over anarchy. If you want to live, then you are biased to prefer life over death.

Biases exist in every part of our lives and they can be very good things.
i agree.... bias is one of those things that people think they "know" but in reality they don't understand. I think you are right. An example of something else that people think they know would be our senses. How many sense do you have? Five. Right? Wrong. There are many senses that a person has.Humans have more than five senses. Although definitions vary, the actual number ranges from 9 to more than 20. In addition to sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing, which were the senses identified by Aristotle, humans can sense balance and acceleration (equilibrioception), pain (nociception), body and limb position (proprioception or kinesthetic sense), and relative temperature (thermoception).[249] Other senses sometimes identified are the sense of time, itching, pressure, hunger, thirst, fullness of the stomach, need to urinate, need to defecate, and blood carbon dioxide levels. Quoted partially from this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...misconceptions

i am mega biased and am fully aware of it