View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I would like to know how he got into the school.
They are saying he forced his way in but they didn't elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I totally agree with that idea and I think simply the knowledge that the guns are there and that the faculty is trained to use them, would deter a large percentage of these shooters.

Of course, no security measure is going to stop 100% of threats, that's why you need overlapping security measures. Plus, I think the "if the guns are there then the crazy are going to get ahold of them!" argument is just nonsense. I'd like to see some statistics on how often these "crazy people" have been able to disarm police officers and use their own weapons against them. If the teachers are trained to use the firearms by the police, then you would almost totally eliminate that possibility.
Are you referring to my comment to Mike's post or something else? I believe in our right to bear arms, and in the right to protect ourselves, but I don't think having loaded firearms at the ready in schools is the wisest road to go down. How do you protect people in the school from someone who is already there, a teacher or a student, someone who is supposed to be there, and who now has this weapon? It's naive to think that those weapons couldn't get in the hands of people it wasn't meant for, OR, that someone in the school who has access to it couldn't one day go postal themselves!

What I said is below, and I think it is totally valid and not nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
That wouldn't necessarily help if the "crazy" is a student (or teacher) in the school, who would then have access to that weapon. If they know it's there, believe me, they'll find a way to get ahold of it. Not to mention, if it's known publicly that there are loaded weapons to be had there, those that would try to steal them. I don't think there's any way to be totally prepared for people who are angry and decide others are going to pay.