Thread: POTUS
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
More fun facts about the election:

Obama won the election in 2008 with 365 electoral votes and he stepped into office with a Democratically controlled Senate and House of Representatives.

Last night Obama won the election with only 303 electoral votes. That's the first time in history that an incumbent President has won reelection by a smaller margin than he won election. Plus, Democrats failed to wrest control of the House of Representatives from Republicans.

So, it looks like Obama lost a lot of ground and is starting his lame duck term in a much weaker position than he was in 2008.

Also, Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational marijuana use. Of course it's still illegal at the federal level, so it will be interesting to see if this is going to be challenged by the Obama Administration.

If Obama does decide to uphold the federal law (which is his job), then I foresee him losing much of his popularity among the youth.
i like how you r taking the positives ... i just think it looks bleak for the gop ... and yes, it is the first time, but it coulda been worse and he coulda lost ... i think the american people spoke loud and clear, especially in fla, ohio and va ... mitt did mess up in alienating 47% of the population ... he shoulda done more with the womens vote .. considering he had a binder full of women ....