View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Minnesota isn't asking Iowa. It's the other way around. Iowa will be requesting the extradition. If Iowa didn't ask for extradition, then Minnesota would just let this guy out, and be done with it.

Let's not get into the ideas of check points, and the fear of approaching check points. The comment about letting a man be on a warrant... where did you get the idea of them "LETTING" him be on the loose for a year? That they've not arrested him in a year? I have warrants on people that we've not been able to locate in ten years. I've been involved with dozens of cases where people just don't get caught for a period of time. Sometimes, a week, a month, a year, a decade... or longer. No warrants don't go out of date.

States don't have "borders" per se. They have state lines.
I was trying to look up Iowa law for "failure to appear" and I happened on one site where a man found out Iowa had had a bench warrant out on him for six years and he had just found out about it (not sure how). He had been living in San Francisco that whole time. In his case it looks like it might have been some administration foul up to do with his community service which he had completed but for some reason might not have been recorded. He was asking the question, "Should he contact a lawyer about sorting it out, or contact the Iowa authorities himself?"