View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Africa Photos

From Matt's blog:

Quote:
On July 4th, Joey and I left for Africa. We flew in to Johannesburg and then took a jumper flight to Port Elizabeth. All of our hunting was done in the country of South Africa. Joey and I had a great time, I got homesick, but Joey didn't want to come home when the hunt ended. Here are the photos of the animals that we hunted.

My blue wildebeest:

My kudu:

Joey's kudu, also called the Grey Ghost of Africa:

Joey's trophy bushbuck:

Joey's impala:

My red hartebeest:

Joey's gemsbok:

My gemsbok:

My eland (the biggest antelope on the planet):

Joey's zebra:

My black wildebeest:

Me, Joey, and my cameraman Blake:

For my equipment, I used a Browning Medallion XBolt, chambered in .300 Win Mag. I shot a Barnes 180gr, all-copper bullet and I topped it with a Nikon 4-12 BDC reticle. Joey shot a Browning Micro Midas XBolt chambered in 7mm-08. He shot a Barnes 120gr, all-copper bullet and was topped with a Nikon 3-9 BDC reticle.

The Browning gun shot great, the Barnes bullets did their job well; but to be real honest I could not have done the trip without the BDC reticle. With those animals moving close and then sometimes running away, if my guide could get a range on them I could quickly look down and see what reticle to put on them.

This was the reticle as I looked through my scope, so between 100 and 534 yards I had a place to put my scope. Like I said before, I dont' think my hunting trip would have been nearly as successful without Nikon's BDC reticle. I shot trophy animals and to do that I had to use a little bit of range. Very few shots of mine were under 300 yards. Like everything else, I think confidence plays a big part in that. I'm very confident in my shooting and looking back I think I did great, but having the right equipment played the biggest part.

The Bible verse for this week:
Quote:
Let us not grow weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)
-matt