View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Well you got to it quicker than I did. Here's the "official" word:

UFC 151 Canceled After Dan Henderson Injury

Quote:
Aug 23, 2012 - An injury to Dan Henderson has forced an unprecedented cancellation of a major UFC event.

UFC president Dana White announced on Thursday that because Henderson, who was set to challenge
Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight championship at UFC 151 on Sept. 1 in Las Vegas, suffered a partially torn MCL, the event would be canceled.

Jones will instead fight former champion
Lyoto Machida on Sept. 22 in Toronto.

During the teleconference, White said that
Chael Sonnen was offered the bout with Jones and accepted, but Jones refused to take the bout, forcing the cancellation.

The UFC president clearly placed the blame on the fight cancellation on the champion.

"Chael Sonnen accepted the fight with Jon Jones last night," White said. "At 8 or 9 last night the one thing I never thought would happen in a million years happen. Jon Jones said, I won't fight Chael Sonnen on eight days notice. That has never happened either."

White said that the company has not yet figured out what will happen to the remainder of the fights scheduled for the card. Fans who purchased tickets for the event will be able to get refunds at the point of purchase.

EDIT: Wow, never would have expected my 12,000th post to be "announcing" the historic cancellation of a Zuffa card...

Last edited by VCURamFan; 08-23-2012 at 06:49 PM.