View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Chris F View Post
Life begins before the womb. God told Jeremiah Before I formed you in your Mothers Womb I knew you. So life starts before the sperm and egg even meet.
Agreed, the answer goes way beyond biology. Our lives started before the universe was even created.

In answer to most of your questions, adamt, only GOD knows.

As for the bees, the rules for the insect kingdom don't really apply to humans. Many insects reproduce asexually, so we can't really make assumptions about human life based on insect life.

I would be very hard pressed to believe that a chicken was born from an unfertilized egg.

In the Bible, GOD states that human life is in the blood. So some may use that to argue that an embryo isn't alive until the heart starts beating. But that's a bit complicated because, from my understanding (which might be a few years out of date), we don't really know when an embryo's heart actually starts beating, we only know when the heartbeat can be detected.

The basic biology behind it all is that a human sperm and a human egg are referred to as haploid cells, because they only carry half of the genetic information necessary to reproduce. When the two haploid cells meet, the genetic information combines into a diploid cell, which results in a complete DNA strand that is a blending of the two parents. This also means that a unique person has been created at fertilization and no new genetic information will ever be added to that person's DNA throughout their lifetime. Information can only be lost from that point on.

So, speaking purely from a genetics standpoint, there is nothing that makes a fertilized egg less human than a full-grown adult. However, GOD is obviously not limited to genetics.

Finally, I think the people who speak out against surrogacy may be under a mistaken impression of what it involves. I don't believe that surrogacy is wrong and it's definitely better than the alternative of Biblical times when the husband actually had to have sex with another woman, if his wife was barren, in order to produce an heir. Or if his brother died without any children, then he would have to have sex with his sister-in-law in order to give his brother an heir.