View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Stump Rules!

I've known him almost our whole lives and I know his asking is genuine.
I told him that we don't know what was in his brother's heart the second before death and God could have easily reveled himself to his brother right then and there and he very well be in heaven right now.
My friend went to court the other day and was sentenced to 10 years so I don't know...I think it's going to be some time of shock to get over before we go back to talking about God
I'll be seeing him Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
When I share the Gospel with someone and that question of "what about my already passed loved one" comes up, it is tough. I don't envy your position at this time in that conversation.

While that can be a legitimate, heart-felt concern for the loved one, some people use it as a smokescreen to avoid dealing with their own sin, as a change of subject:
(Offended) "Are you telling me that my brother is in hell?"
"I didn't know your brother, but I'm asking you to look at yourself in light of what the bible says."
Other times, it really is a painful realization. I hope you're dealing with the genuine kind.

Other times, any random subject (purgatory, communion, do I have to wear a tie to church) will do to avoid the question of sin and repentance, regardless of dead loved ones. Some people are just intellectually hungry and easily get off topic. Keep praying for the guy. It makes a difference.

--------------------

Ok, I finished the thread. On the original question of purgatory, there's some other academic stuff about it's origin, but it's been sufficiently said that it's unbiblical.

http://stumpdotcom.com/