View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
Caveman, I think you are making an honest mistake. While those churches might have been using a book of prayers, there is a specific book with the title: The Book of Common Prayer. It is used in the Anglican Church, not the Roman Catholic Church. The book was written by Thomas Cranmer. He was a reformer in England. He recanted many of his reformed teachings under threat of execution by "Bloody Mary"; however, in a sermon shortly before his death, he repented of his recantation. As a show of remorse for his signing a document of recantation, while he was being burned to death, he stuck his writing hand in the flames and burned it off before the rest of his body was consumed by fire.

You should read the book. It is beautifully written. I'm going from memory, but I heard once that 80% of the book is quoted Scripture. The Anglican Church is a sick and weak Church; however, it is not because of The Book of Common Prayer - it is because many of the members don't read it and believe it.
You could be right.........it could be a mistake, PTM. I actually came out of an Episcopal Church that used the Book of Common Prayer, so I'm somewhat familiar with it. My wife was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools her entire life. Her parents and siblings still attend. We attended a service a couple of years ago, where her mom and dad renewed their wedding vows. I do remember a book of prayer being used throughout the service. A lot of the sacraments from that book were all in the Book Of Common Prayer. I believe the title of the book said "book of prayer', so I took it as the same book the Episcopal Church used. The Holy Eucharist and the Nicene Creed sure sounded the same.

And just for clarification, I was not blaming the heretical teachings of the Catholic Church on the Book Of Common Prayer, just the absence of the Bible. I believe any church has made a grave mistake when they replace the authoritative Word of God, the Bible, with a book written by man. Psalm 138: 2, David writes that God has magnified His Word above His Name. I believe we should do the same.