View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
You are kinda making my point for me when you say that turning your school into a national power is what makes a coach a big name. Shaka already has a good thing going at VCU and if he can keep winning, more better prospects will want to play for him there in the future. If it weren't for Shaka Smart (and Ben ) most people probably wouldn't even know what a VCU is.

Sure, he could go to a bigger school, but Illinois? They are hardly Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina. Sure, Illinois is bigger than VCU, and I understand that the 3 schools I mentioned don't need new coaches, but I don't see how Shaka would be better off there than at VCU. He is obviously happy with his situation, and he stands to gain more recognition by taking a smaller school to great heights than going to a bigger school where expectations are higher.

I totally understand your point, I just don't think Shaka really missed out on something by staying at VCU and tuning Illinois down. Now, if the New York Knicks, or any NBA team in need of a new coach came calling, or a really big time NCAA program came calling with a blank check, then I would agree with you.
my point was that national powers are schools in the major conferences. Butler when to 2 strait national championships yet they are not mentioned in the same breath as schools like Syracuse, Duke, Ohio State... because they play in the Horizon league. Since 1999 Gonzaga has not missed a NCAA tournament, 5 times they have made it to the sweet 16 and once to the elite eight yet they are still not considered a national power. At best the mid majors become yearly bracket busters.

^this is what perfection looks like