View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Just wanna say first off...you know I'm not trying to come at you or be a mindless hater. I actually love these debates/discussions about boxing with you. I'm a fan of Mayweather, but I'm a fan of Manny too and more than anything I am just a fan of boxing. Now, down to business...

You say both guys can attribute their rise to DLH, but there is a reason that Floyd vs Oscar was the biggest PPV ever and it wasn't just because of DLH. It wasn't until AFTER Pac beat Oscar that Americans REALLY started caring about Manny. The fact that he is "exciting" is secondary. Being a high volume puncher may excite the fans, but you gotta look good doing it, and he hasn't done that as much in his last few fights (especially against Marquez).

I don't doubt that if Floyd didn't exist Pac would still be Pac in terms of boxing. What I said was, I don't think American fans would care nearly as much. Of course, that doesn't apply to people like you and me who actually follow boxing closely. However, it does apply to the casual American fan. I agree that both guys have benefited from each other, which I said originally, but I think that Floyd's image has made this whole saga what it is. I love Manny, I really do, but it's not like his character is nearly as exciting as his style of boxing. Honestly, how often do you check the boxing news thinking to yourself "I wonder what crazy thing Manny said today...?

I don't think Manny should give Floyd 70/30, and I have gone on record as saying I think Floyd needs to make this 50/50 if he wants to see this fight happen sooner than later. However, even if the split was 70/30 it would still be more money than Pac has ever made under Arum. In boxing, that says a lot.

Let's not forget, Bob Arum is an important piece to this puzzle. Arum is a big part of the reason that both of these guys have the exposure that they do, but he's also part of the problem in terms of Pac's leverage in negotiating. I truly believe that if Pac left Top Rank this fight would be made in a week or two.
All good points. It may be hard for me to see that outside perspective because I am a fan of boxing in general, I rarely even miss Friday Night Fights regardless of who is fighting.

Anyways, I still think Pac would be as big a star just based on how exciting his fighting style is even though he is not an American. He certainly received a lot of exposure from his fight with DLH where he was definitely an offensive monster and same with his fight with Cotto, who was at the time, arguably a bigger PPV star than Pac (I'd have to check Cotto's #s but we all know he is the current #3 so he has drawing power). Plus, being here in San Antonio, I see plenty of Mexicans out when I would go to the fight and all I ever heard from any of them was complete respect for Pacquiao and we all know they are big buying market in terms of PPV fights. Whether or not they would buy Pac vs. a non-Mexican fighter, I don't know, but it adds to the mix. That's actually one of the things I use in my sales, especially when meeting with Mexican men, I talk to them about boxing, it works every time!

Arum sucks, I hope Pac leaves him, but he probably won't. I think that's a lot to do with why Mayweather priced himself out of the fight - he doesn't want to do any favors for Arum, but really it just hurts his own pocketbook and the sport in general IMO. It'd be a shame if we don't actually get to see these guys square off