View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

No it all makes sense. Both guys experienced a huge surge in popularity thanks to each persons' fight with DLH, a passing of the torch if you will. Mayweather was benefiting from his arguments with Merchant and Manny for his wars with the great Mexican fighters of this era. It was good they both fought DLH and had their much deserved rise.

But, just like Mayweather, Pacquiao was also making a name for himself prior to fighting DLH as his 2nd fight with Marquez broke a record for the highest PPV buys at a weight lower than welterweight at 400,000 (it has since been surpassed as his junior welterweight fight with Hatton garnered 850,000, but that was after he fought DLH). Mayweather's highest total prior to fighting DLH was 375,000 against Judah @ WW. Both guys had pretty comparable numbers prior to the DLH fight and are about equal today with the big exception being the record-breaking sale of the DLH bout with Floyd (surprisingly, Pac's last 3 fights have a higher total than Mayweather's last 3 fights 3,900,000 to 3,700,000 and they have 2 of the same fighters in Marquez and Mosley, so Pac's stock is rising).

You might like this, I actually did a calculation of PPV averages for both fighters prior to the DLH fight and after the DLH fight to see what would be a fair split for the fight. Mayweather's average is a little higher and when you do a total of both fighters' averages, then cross multiply and divide each fighter, you get Mayweather with 55% and Pacquiao with 45%. That should actually be their purse split if they want to fight, 70/30 is pretty outrageous. This calculation only shows the fights with DLH and after for each fighter, but it isn't much different (I think 57/43) when you include their fights prior to DLH in the averages. Anyways, here's the Excel spreadsheet, just unzip it:

www.matt-hughes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=256&stc=1&d=1332136392

Both guys feed great off each other, it's good for the sport. Kinda like how Ali needed Frazier and vice versa; but these guys are really running out of options after these next set of fights, so I just hope us fans are able to get what we want and deserve.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mayweather vs Pacquiao PPV number analysis.zip (4.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by rockdawg21; 03-19-2012 at 06:58 AM.